Peter Mills Jr

Born between 14 May 1667 and 14 May 1669. A "Norton" manuscript says 1668. He died in Wintonbury, the old western parish of Windosr which is now Bloomfield at age 87 or 88. Peter was a substantial land owner, receiving the title to his father's house "after my death . . .and not before."

Mieceslas III

Father is Mistui II Prince of the Obotrites
son of Mieceslas II of Obotrites, living 919 to 999
son of Mistui I of Obotrites, living 985
son of Mistui I of Obotrites, living 869
son of Rodigastus of Obotrites, living 840
son of Mieceslas I of Obotrites and Antonia
son of Billung II of Obotrites and Jutta
son of Billung I of Obotrites and Hildegarde
son of Aribert I of Obotrites and Mandana, living 724
son of Vislas I King of the Obotrites living 700 and Petrussa of the Lombards
daughter of Aripert II
son of Godepert, living 662

Arthur Miller

Attended school when farmwork allowed.
1888 - married Olive Case
1904 - Olive died
Arthur married Rose Stone (d 1954)

1910 - purchased large frame house built by Cleveland Ellis in 1838, first frame house built in Assyria Township. The house had eight bedrooms, two stairways, a parlour, kitchen, living dining room, a large pantry (buttery) large wood room and workshop. The frame was made of hewn timber, the interior and siding of white wood.

Mr Ellis went to Maple Grove to see John Mott who had a saw mill. Mr Mott placed a high value on his labours and Mr. Elis felt the price was too high. He then went to Detroit and pruchased a saw mill, taking it home on two wagons and with the help of a hired man. He made the lumber for his home and several others in the neighborhood.

The children attended Briggs School when they could be spared from farmwork.

Nettie - married Floyd Le Clear
Anne - married Will Davis
Glen - married Dora Benedict
Floyd - married Lovelle Helvie
Orlie - married Helen German
Clifton - married Edna Smith

Joseph Minor

Dr. Joseph Minor was baptized on 25 Aug 1644 in Hingham, MA, son of Thomas. He married Mary Avery, daughter of Capt. James and Joanna of New London (now Poquonnock Bridge) on 28 Oct 1668. She died on 31 January 1707/8 and was buried on 2 February.

He married second Bridget Chesebrough, daughter of Nathaniel and Hannah on 7 Dec 1709. She was the widow of William Thompson who died 1 June 1705. He was a farmer and a physician in Stonington. Bridget died on 24 November 1758.

Joseph died in Stonington on 1 Feb 1711/2 and was buried beside his wife, Marie, at Taugwonk.

Joseph lived at Stonington; was a farmer and physician; freeman, 1669; deputy to the general court 1696, 1706; selectman, 1694-98, 1704, 1709, 1710. He served in the King Philip war and for his services received arable land and cedar swamp in Voluntown.

Joseph Minor and his wife, Marie, were admitted to the church at Stonington, April 11, 1675.


Joseph Minor , Jr. b: 19 SEP 1669 in Stonington, New London, CT
Mary Minor b: 6 OCT 1671 in Stonington, New London, CT
Mercy Minor b: 21 AUG 1673 in Stonington, New London, CT
Benjamin Minor b: BEF. 25 JUN 1676 in Stonington, New London, CT
Sarah Minor b: BEF. 30 MAR 1679 in Stonington, New London, CT
Joanna Minor b: 12 DEC 1680 in Stonington, New London, CT
Christopher Minor b: 28 DEC 1683 in Stonington, New London, CT
Prudence Minor b: BEF. 6 MAY 1688 in Stonington, New London, CT

Thomas Minor

Thomas Minor of Chew Magna, Somerset, England was born roughly 1530 in Chew Magna, son of William Miner. He married Joan _ about 1554/9. He was a tailor and resident of Chew Magna in 1556 at which time it was known as a cloth making town. He was buried at Chew Magna on 15 November 1573. An abstract of his will, dated 20 October 1573 and proved 15 September 1574, survives. The manor court rolls show Joan succeeding her husband on 19 July 1574 under a grant of 29 June 1554. She was buried at Chew Magna on 21 December 1592.

In his will, his children were bequeathed 16 pounds, 6 schillings. When buried, he left four pence to the church and each of his children received a lamb.

Thomas Minor

Thomas Minor was born in 1608 in Chew Magna, Somersetshire, the son of Clement Minor. As a young man he sailed on the Lyons Whelp and landed at Salem. After several moves he settled in Charlestown, where he became a founding member of the First Church in 1632. He married Grace Palmer, daughter of Walter Palmer, and they soon moved to Hingham, where they raised five children. After 14 years in Massachusetts the family joined John Winthrop, Jr., in the settlement of Pequot (New London) in 1646. There he held important offices, most for several terms: assistant magistrate, sergeant in the New London Train Band, New London deputy to the Connecticut Court, and judge.

Thomas [signature "Minor"] Charlestown, memb. chh. 1632; propr. 1634; rem. to Hingham, propr. 1636. He m. April 23, 1634, Grace, dau of Walter Palmer; ch. Clement bapt. March 18, 1640, Ephraim bapt. May 1, 1642, Joseph bapt. Aug 25, 1644. Rem. to Hingham. Signed peition for liberty to plant at Whitehead neck in 1645; also for Nashaway same year. Rem. to New London, Conn. 2

Very shortly after his arrival in Salem (then called Pequot harbor), there was a serious outbreak of Typhus, and Thomas moved on to Watertown. His stay there was brief also; from Watertown, Thomas moved on to Charlestown where in 1632 he became a founder of the First Church, his name appearing 34th on the roll. Two years later was granted four acres of land at the line of Newtown (now Cambridge), and by 1637 owned a 10 acre plot.

On 4 March 1633/34, Thomas was made a freeman, and on 23 April 1632 he married Grace Palmer, daughter of Walter Palmer of Charlestown. Two years leter in 1636 the young couple moved once again settling in Hingham, MA, where they remained until 1645.

In 1645 Thomas joined John Winthrop Jr.'s colony of Massachusetts Puritains in the settlement of New London, Conn.

Grace and Thomas Minor apparently removed to Stonington after the birth of their 9th child, Samuel, who was born 4 mar 1653/3 in New London; their 10th and last child, Hannah, was born 15 Sept 1655 in Stonington.

Thomas Minor moved from New London to Wequetequock in 1652 and built a house on the east side of the cove, probably across the road from the burying ground.

At this same time Walter Palmer, persuaded by Chesebrough to join him in the new settlement, bought from Governor Haynes 300 acres of land lying on the east side of Wequetequock Cove. This tract was found to include the lands and dwelling of his son-in-law Thomas Minor. An amicable agreement was reached--Walter moved into Thomas's house in Wequetequock and Thomas built a house in Quiambaug. New London granted Thomas Minor 200 acres at Taugwonk. Here Thomas built a barn, farmed the land, and put his cattle to graze. Later he erected a house which was left to his son Ephraim.

Thwarted in their ambitions by Connecticut, the inhabitants of Mystic and Pawcatuck petitioned Massachusetts for the privilege of a township, twenty families now being settled in this place. This petition was backed by Captain George Denison, who had influential friends in Boston. This also failed. A second application was made and denied, with the suggestion that the matter be referred to the Commissioners of the United Colonies and that in the meantime they manage their own affairs. In 1658 the Massachusetts General Court resolved that the territory between the Mystic River and the Pawcatuck River be named Southertown and belong to Suffolk County, Massachusetts. The plantation was to extend into the interior eight miles from the mouth of the Mystic River. Captain George Denison and five others were appointed to manage prudential affairs; Captain Denison, William Chesebrough, and Thomas Minor were appointed commissioners to handle small causes. Walter Palmer was appointed constable.

The General Court appointed Minor the brander of horses, and in 1672 Minor marked eight horses with a halfpenny on the fore side of an ear and branded them with a K on the near shoulder and T/M on the near buttock.

The diary of Thomas Minor is a lasting memorial. Although the entries are terse and never give details, they do give us a glimpse into his daily life and community activities. He records many births, marriages, and deaths among his neighbors. He meticulously records the day of the week, the number of days in the month and the year, for no doubt this served as his only calendar. He entered the date when a field was planted and its yield, for this would guide him in his planting the following year; unusual weather conditions such as "a great snow" or "bitter cold" made his diary truly his farmer's almanac. The death of his 21-year-old son is reported in simple and unemotional language, though it must have caused him considerable pain. He makes brief notes of some of his financial transactions. It is a great treasure.

He was elected Stonington deputy to the General Court four times, town clerk twice, and selectman nine times. He was often asked to participate in Indian negotiations and was constantly required to lay out boundaries for land grants. In his diary he wrote:

The 24th of Aprill, 1669, I Thomas Minor am by my accounts sixtie one yeares ould I was by the towne and this year Chosen to be a select man the Townes Treasurer The Townes Recorder The brander of horses by the General Courte Recorded the head officer of the Traine band by the same Courte one the ffoure that have the charge of the milishcia of the whole Countie and Chosen and the sworne Commissioner and one to assist in keeping the Countie Courte.

He was the chief military officer and in 1676, when King Philip's War started, Lieutenant Thomas Minor, then 68 years old, picked up his musket and marched off to battle accompanied by several of his sons.

Minor lived in Stonington thirty-eight years, much longer than any other early settler, dying in 1690 at the age of 83. Two hundred years after his death Grace Wheeler visited the site of the Minor homestead and found a little hollow in the ground, a few old stone steps, and a row of lilacs which could have been planted by Thomas himself. Those lilacs would be a fitting memorial for a man who dearly loved his orchard and his plantings.

Thomas Minor, who died in 1690 aged 83, under a large stone said to have been selected by him from a ledge at his farm. Some are buried under large wolfstones, granite slabs to protect their bodies from the ravages of wild animals. The cemetery was enclosed by a stone wall in 1828. In 1899 the cemetery association dedicated a large stone to the memory of the four settlers, Thomas Minor, Walter Palmer, John Chesebrough and Thomas Stanton.

Thomas died at Stonington, Connecticut on 23 October 1690. He is buried in the graveyard near what was the location of his Stonington huse and is said to have selected the granite boulder, lying above hs grave, from his own fields. The inscription, nearly illegible now, reads: "here lyeth the body of Lieutenant Thomas Minor, aged 83 years. Departed 1690." Hearby stands a monument commemorating his services to Stonington, together with his associates Chesebrough, Stanton and Palmer.

A picture of his gravestone is located at


Hannah Minor b: 15 SEP 1655 in Stonington, New London, Conn
John Minor , Sr. b: 30 AUG 1635 in Charlestown, Mass
Clement Minor b: 4 MAR 1638 in Hingham, Mass
Ephraim Minor b: 1 MAY 1642 in Hingham, Mass
Joseph Minor , Sr. b: 25 AUG 1644 in Hingham, Mass
Manassah Minor b: 28 APR 1647 in New London, Conn
Samuel Minor b: 4 MAR 1653 in Stonington, New London, Conn
Thomas Minor b: 10 MAY 1640 in Hingham, Mass
Ann Minor b: 28 APR 1649 in New London, Conn
Mary Minor b: 5 MAY 1651 in New London, Conn

Thomas Minor appears on the list of freemen of Mass Bay March 4, 1633/34 (Winthrop pages)

Son of William M of Chew Magna, Somerset, England, tenth generation from Henry M. One of the founders of the church at Charlestown 1632, moved to New London, Ct, 1645, and to Stonington Ct 1683. 55

Clement Minor

Children born in England and listed from the parish records of St. Andrew's Church

An original belief was that Clement's grandmother was Isabel Harcope, leading into a line that takes you to John of Gaunt, Edward I's great grandson and beyond. This was published in a document written about 1683 called "An Herauldical Essay Upon the Surname of Miner." The Minor Society now believes this to be untrue. The study "The Curious Pedigree of Lt. Thomas Minor" by John A. Miner and Robert F.Miner published in the NEHGS Register of July 1984 (volume 138, pages 182-185) declares this false. A corrected version was published in John Augustus Miner's "Thomas Minor, Decendents, 1608 - 1981" in 1981.

William Miner

WILLIAM MINER (MINOR, MYNAR) is listed as a resident paying taxes (one of 13) in North Elm section of Chew Magna, Somersett, England in 1523 (Paid 4p tax on goods assessed at 2£4s.). Wife unknown. He received a Chew Magna house and land grant on 29 June 1554 with his son Thomas and Thomas' wife, Joan. He was buried at Chew Magna on 23 February 1585/6.

He may be related to John Minere who appears on a Chew Magna manor account roll for the year 1494-5 as paying for grass on 46 acres of meadow or to Joan Minere, a widow, who appears on that roll as paying a tax known as churchscot.


Some sources state his daughter as Sigrid Storrafa, some state her as Gunhilda. Both married Svein Forkbeard.

Son of the semi-legendary Siemomysl, was the first historically known Piast duke of the Polans, who gave their name to the country that would later be called "Poland." Mieszko was not the Duke's actual name but was given to him later.

In 964 or, more probably, 965 he married Dobrawa (Dobrava, Dubrawka), daughter of Boleslav I, Duke of Bohemia. In 978 he married Oda von Haldensleben, daughter of Dietrich (Theoderic) of Haldensleben, Count of the North March (965-985), after abducting her from the monastery of Kalbe.

 The early career of Mieszko was dominated by fighting with the tribes of Wieletes and Volinians south of the Baltic Sea, and their ally, the Saxon count Wichman. Mieszko was baptised in 966, probably under the influence of his Christian first wife or perhaps in order to avoid confrontation with the Holy Roman Empire to the west. He built a church dedicated to Saint George at Gniezno and in 968 he founded the first Polish cathedral in Poznan dedicated to Saint Peter. Those events are also known as the baptism of Poland.

At the time of the reign of Mieszko there was no single place serving as the capital, instead he built several castles around his country. Of the most important were: Poznan, Gniezno and Ostrów Lednicki. The latter was a ring-fort some 460 feet in diameter, containing his residence, a fine stone palace, the country's first monumental architecture.

He had probably one sister of unknown name, and two brothers: one of them, name unknown, was killed in battle around 964; the second, named Czcibor, died in the Battle of Cedynia in 972.

Some historians suggest that Mieszko I had pledged allegiance to emperor Otto I the Great, to emperor Otto II and again to emperor Otto III. However, there is much dispute over this point from the Polish side - mainly whether his allegiance represented the whole of Poland, or only part (the disputed fragment is "usque Varta fluvium"). One medieval chronicle also states that Mieszko pledged allegiance to Margrave Gero, but since the chronicle itself is believed to be an abstract of another which does not mention this, it is now generally considered to be a myth.

His reign began around 962 in Greater Poland (Wielkopolska), Kuyavia (Kujawy), Masovia (Mazowsze) and possibly in eastern Pomerania. In the 960s he probably at least partially conquered western Pomerania, and in the 990's he conquered Silesia (Slask) and Little Poland (Malopolska).

Much of his military activity was along the Baltic coast, in territory later called Pomerania. He defeated Margrave Hodo of the Northern March at Cedynia in 972, and reached the mouth of the Oder (Odra) river in 976. The decisive battle, fought in 979, ensured Mieszko's position as ruler of the area. The following year he celebrated his temporary conquest by dedicating a fortress at Gdansk. Settlements there have existed for millennia and Pomeranian and Prussian territories overlap at the mouth of the Vistula River.

In 981 Mieszko I lost the land known only as Grody Czerwienskie to Vladimir I, prince of Kiev. In 986, upon the death of emperor Otto II, he pledged allegiance to the Emperor Otto III, and helped him with wars with the Polabians. Shortly before his death he placed his state under the suzerainty of the Pope in a document usually called the Dagome Iudex. This document indexes the lands of Mieszko, referred to as "Dagome" in the document, and his wife, former nun Oda and her sons by him.

From his first marriage he had a son, his successor Boleslaus, and two daughters, Sygryda and the other of an unknown name. Sygryda was the wife (as queen Sigrid the Haughty) of Eric the Victorious, king of Sweden and then (as queen Gunhilda) of king Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark, and mother of king Canute of Denmark and England. "Swietoslawa" is generally accepted by historians as the best approximation of this first daughter's Slavic name. The second daughter was most likely married to a Pomeranian Slavic Prince.

From his second marriage he had three sons; Mieszko, Lambert, and Swietopelk.

Second wife: Oda von Haldensleben (sometimes "Ote"; before 978 - 1023) was daughter of the Margrave of the North March, Theoderich (or Dietrich). By most accounts, she was a nun who was abducted by Poland's Duke Mieszko I from a cloister at Kolbe.

Oda and her sons by Mieszko I, ruler of the Polans, appear in a document known as the Dagome iudex. There is no document itself, but a reference to it in a church book some 80 years later makes reference to this Dagome Iudux. It is thus assumed to be one of the earliest Polish legal documents, and is a principal source for this portion of the history of Poland under the Piast Dynasty.

Mieszko II

Mieszko II Lambert (990 - 1034), also spelled Miezko II, was the duke and short-term king of Poland. He was the son of Boleslaw I the Brave and Enmilda, daughter of Dobromir, Duke of Lusatia. Their children were Casimir I of Poland, Rixa of Poland, and Gertrude of Poland. Mieszko II was married to Richensa of Lotharingia (Rixa), the granddaughter of Otto II, Holy Roman Emperor.

Mieszko II was very well educated for the period. He was able to read and write, and knew both Greek and Latin. He is unjustly known as Mieszko Gnusny (the "Lazy," "Stagnant" or "Slothful"). He received that epithet due to the unfortunate way his reign ended; but at the beginning he acted as a skillful and talented ruler. Before he became king in 1025, he probably served as his father's governor in Cracow, most likely from 1013, and reputedly built many churches.

Beginning 1028, he successfully waged war against Germany: he was able to repel the German army, and later even invaded Saxony. He allied Poland with Hungary, resulting in a temporary Hungarian occupation of Vienna. This war was probably prompted by family connections of Mieszko's in Germany who opposed Emperor Conrad II.

An understanding of what happened later requires an understanding of Mieszko's family. His older brother Bezprym was the son of an unknown Hungarian wife of Boleslaw's and was later expelled by Mieszko. He also had a younger brother, Otton. By Slavic custom, a father should divide his legacy among all his sons. However, since a kingdom cannot be divided, Mieszko's brothers received nothing from their father's legacy.

As Bezprym was the oldest son, many probably felt that he should have succeeded his father as king. Bezprym had, however, always been disliked by his father, as indicated by his name (the Piasts tended to give names such as Boleslaw, Mieszko and later Kazimierz, Wladyslaw and emperors' names such as Otto, Conrad and Heinrich: Bezprym was a commoner's name, which implied that Boleslaw did not wish Bezprym to succeed him). He was packed off to a monastery.

Mieszko's two brothers escaped abroad: Otton to Germany, Bezprym to Kievan Rus. Soon after, the German emperor and the grand duke of Kyiv, Yaroslav I the Wise, made alliance and simultaneously invaded Poland.

Facing two enemies, Germany on the west and Rus on the east, Mieszko escaped to Bohemia, where he seems[citation needed] to have been castrated. Bezprym began his reign by sending his crown and regalia to Germany. Mieszko soon returned, but was forced to pledge fealty to the German Emperor, and Poland was divided among him, his brothers Otton and Bezprym, and a certain Thiedric (probably a nephew or cousin). Otton was killed by one of his own men, and Mieszko was able to reunite Poland.

What happened next is a mystery. Historians now think that Mieszko was killed (1034) in a plot hatched by the aristocracy.

After Mieszko's death, Poland's peasants revolted in a "pagan reaction." The exact reasons and date are unknown. Mieszko's son, Casimir I, was either expelled by this insurrection, or the insurrection was caused by the aristocracy's expulsion of him.

Modern historians argue that the insurrection was less likely caused by religious than by economic matters (huge new taxes for the Church, the militarization of the early Polish dukedom/kingdom — almost all the male population were drafted into the army — etc.). Priests, monks and knights were killed; cities, churches and monasteries were burned.

The chaos became still greater when unexpectedly the Czechs invaded from the south. The land became divided among local rulers, one of whom is known by name: Maslaw, ruler of Masovia. Greater Poland was so devastated that it ceased to be the core of the Polish kingdom. The capital was moved to Cracow in Lesser Poland.